A Facebook post caught my eye today. It mentioned an article in the Washington Post which states that many of our favorite lipsticks are actually more dangerous when applied than chewing on a pencil!
You see, lead has been taken out of pencils as it is a carcinogen and toxic to humans. Apparently is okay for lipstick to have rather large doses on lead in it. The study came from the Food and Drug Administration and hundreds of lipstick were lead-filled!
Here is a list of the 10 brands and shades that contain the most lead, according the FDA’s study. A full analysis of all 400 varieties is available here.
1. Maybelline’s Color Sensation in Pink Petal. (Lead content: 7.19 ppm)
2. L’Oreal Colour Riche in Volcanic. (Lead content: 7.00 ppm)
3. NARS Semi-Matte in Red Lizard. (Lead content: 4.93 ppm)
4. Cover Girl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues Color in Ruby Remix (Lead content: 4.92 ppm)
5. NARS Semi-Matte in Funny Face. (Lead content: 4.89)
6. L’Oreal Colour Rich in Tickled Pink. (Lead content: 4.45)
7. L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor in Heroic. (Lead content: 4.41)
8. Cover Girl Continuous Color in Warm Brick. (Lead content: 4.28)
9. Maybelline Color Sensational in Mauve Me. (Lead content: 4.23)
10. Stargazer lipstick in shade “c.” (Lead content: 4.12)
I am not a big lipstick wearer mainly because I tend to wipe it off or smudge it all over my face by accident. I also have thin lips and look like a clown if I try to ‘fill them out’. So now begins the hunt for safer lipsticks…I am throwing the few I have away.
I am really ticked off to see Burt’s Bees included in this list. If a company such as this has lead in lipstick, what else are they being less ‘natural’ with? Finding out their parent company is Clorox has also shaken me a little. Now I have to look at all the products my kids have in their bathroom…there is a HUGE knock-on effect to this.
Good News, however, comes from The Daily Green who has listed 11 non-toxic lipsticks we can wear with confidence. I am not sure I’m going with the bright red one, even if it solves my thin-lip issues, but there are choices. We just have to stay informed!